The Staycation: Will This Be a New Vacation Trend | Beachly Travel
Here at Beachly, we are definitely feeling the travel bug! We know you must be feeling it too. If you’re craving a getaway but can’t do much traveling at the moment, then don’t stress. Take a staycation instead! Your vacation doesn’t have to be boring… it just might need to be a bit closer to home than you think!
Did you know?
Over the past few years, the idea of having a staycation has become more of a trend than ever! In fact, 26% of US adults stated that they had taken a staycation at some point in time from 2020-2021. (Although really, we haven’t had much choice!) It truly is the ultimate way to have a vacation close to home.
That’s why I’m here to guide you through planning ahead for the perfect staycation. If you're unsure as to what one is, or want to find out what you can do on a staycation, then keep reading to find out more!
What is a Staycation?
Now I know what you might be thinking… “what exactly is a staycation!?” A staycation, otherwise known as a ‘holistay’ is a holiday spent close to home rather than traveling abroad. A lot of times, staycations involve day trips to local attractions. Some may even say it allows for more time to relax and enjoy leisure activities than an actual getaway to somewhere new!
If you’re a beach babe craving some vitamin sea and a staycation kinda getaway, you can map out where your closest beaches are and take a fun road trip to the coast with your gals. We’ve already got you covered with the Ultimate Sunshine Playlist and these 5 Beach Day Essentials to make the most of your trip.
And if the coast is just too far away, don’t fret! All you need to do is treat yourself to a Beachly box and plan a few fun activities to be feeling that relaxed aloha vibe. It’s the best way to bring the beach vibes straight to your front door. If you aren’t already a part of the Beachly Tribe yet, then get in on the good vibes today and sign up here!
Why is Staycation a Trend?
Staycations have become much more common in the past year and a half, for obvious known reasons! However, the staycation idea has actually been around for many years as a way for people to enjoy a vacation but for half of the stress and less money. I don’t know about you, but this sounds like a dream to me!
Now I know what you’re thinking… staycations don’t quite compare to a real getaway - whether it’s traveling abroad to a foreign country or escaping to your ultimate paradise. But I promise, there are so many benefits when it comes to planning your ideal staycation. Here are just a few:
- You can explore closer to home - The last year has had a massive impact on traveling and the importance of being able to getaway - even if it’s just for a weekend staycation! With most countries having travel restrictions, we’ve all had to learn how to get creative and find ways to feel like we’re on a getaway, even if it’s close to home.
- You can save money - When it comes to planning a proper vacation, most of your budget goes on travel costs and accommodation. Staying put means that you can put this towards food, drinks and entertainment instead! You might have a little extra cash to splurge on a nice dinner or spa day. Ahhh!
- It is less stressful - There is less planning involved when you’re staying close to home. Although vacations are meant to be relaxing, if you’re anything like me, you spend too much time worrying about flight times or what the itinerary is for the new place you’re exploring. With a staycation, you can take each day as it comes, soaking in your usual surroundings with a fresh perspective.
What to do on a Staycation
I have to say, I think I’ve become a pro at planning staycations. So I put together this sweet little list of some of my favorite ways to feel like a tourist in my own town. Check it out here:
- Eat out at local restaurants. When it comes to a staycation, I think it’s alright to splurge a little. So why not try that new restaurant in town you’ve had your eye on?
- Go for a hike. If you’ve been a Beachly Babe for a while, you know I love my walks! Although I prefer them seaside, that doesn’t mean a nice hike in nature won’t soothe the soul. And if you aren’t convinced yet, you should check out these 5 Benefits From Taking A Walk Everyday.
- Go swimming. For the gals that love to make a splash! Whether you’re staying at a nice hotel and have access to a resort pool or if you live near the ocean, there’s something extra special about taking a dip that makes you feel at ease.
- Create your own fun! I love to plan fun activities with my friends to mix up our usual routines. And a staycation is the perfect opportunity to do just that! All you have to do is choose a destination near you to go and explore. Bring your camera along, blast the music, and capture memories with the ones you love.
- Go to the beach. I couldn’t resist leaving this one out! If you're one of the lucky ones that lives near the coast, then I definitely recommend taking a look at these 5 Fall Beach Activities.
Most Popular Staycation Destinations
Looking for the best spot to have a staycation? One of these locations on our list might be in your own backyard! Leave a comment down below and let us know if it’s close to where you call home.
Here’s a little round-up on some of the most popular staycation destinations in the USA today:
- Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
- Washington DC
- Dunton, Colorado
- Eureka Springs, Arkansas
- Newfane, Vermont
- The Great Smoky Mountains, Tennessee
- Windham Mountain, New York
- Sedona, Arizona
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin
And how could I not mention the home of the Beachly HQ? San Diego, California! I even have a Guide to the Perfect Day in San Diego for you to enjoy. I have a feeling you’re going to love it!
Is the Staycation here to stay!?
If you ask me, the answer is yes! Staycations have been one of the greatest trends of the last year and I think they’re here to stay. It’s time to fall in love with your own hometown and explore with fresh eyes!
So, what do you think? Are you going to get planning your perfect staycation? Trust me, there are many many benefits. You never know, it might end up being your favorite vacation of all time!And don't forget, you can treat yourself to the perfect box of tropical staycation goodies with this season’s Beachly box. Enjoy sunshine!